Height: 37 inches (97%ile)Where has the time gone my sweet boy? It's hard to believe that two years ago today daddy and I were sitting in a hospital room holding you for the first time. (All five and a half pounds of you). It has been amazing to watch you learn so many new things this year and grow into such a happy and confident toddler. Daddy and I are so proud of you!
Head: 19 inches (40%ile)
Head: 19 inches (40%ile)
Your transition from being home-bound back into the normal world was NOT a smooth one. I'm not sure if you just forgot how to behave around other kids (okay you probably haven't learned this yet at all) or you are just now delving into the "terrible twos." One morning, after you were feeling better, I decided to take you to Lifetime. I dropped you off at the kid area and told them which class I was going to be in. I set up my spot right by the exit because, more often than not, I get pulled out to tend to you for whatever reason. I was pleasantry surprised when that didn't happen. However, as soon as I left the class I could hear my name being called over the loud speaker. (You can't hear this over the loud music in the class studios so if they know you're in a class they will come up to get you). I immediately knew there had been a miscommunication and panicked. I ran down to get you and was told that they had been trying to find me because you were being aggressive. (That was a new one!) Apparently, you were pushing other little kids "unprovoked" AND you didn't "respond nice" when the teacher told you no. I'm not quite sure how they expected you to respond or what you actually did that wasn't nice, but I've been afraid to go back ever since (and I can feel it in my jeans). I kind-of blew this event off. I don't take you being aggressive with other kids lightly, but I know that a lot of kids go through this stage. Plus, I have to admit, it seemed like a stressful environment when I dropped you off. It was really busy, there were lots of screaming kids, and your favorite teacher wasn't there. This was a recipe for disaster and I should have known better. I realized, afterwards, that you were also still tired from being sick because as soon as we got into the car you fell asleep. When we got home, I set you on the bench so I could hang up my coat and when I came back into the kitchen (two minutes later) you had fallen back asleep.
Your antics amuse daddy and I on a daily basis. You really are a funny little kid. This month you have decided to call daddy and I by our first names. While it's pretty hilarious to hear you calling for Er-ca or John, we would much prefer you to call us mommy and daddy. You love walking around with my glasses on (upside down), playing hide-and-go-seek, tickling, and pretending you're a monster (however, you get really upset when anyone else is the monster). Anytime I take my eyes off you for a second you're into something....like my lip gloss.
Finally, I've decided to do a questionnaire each year on your birthday. Since you can't really answer on your own this year, I will do my best to answer for you...
- What makes you happy? hugs, blankie, bear, kisses from KG
- What is your favorite animal? monkey
- What is your favorite thing to eat? clementines
- What is your least favorite thing to eat? you're not a very picky eater, but will randomly refuse to eat things that your normally like
- What is your favorite thing to drink? milk (you also really like orange juice, but for some reason you call it apple juice)
- What is your favorite thing to do? play with daddy, tinker with tools, play doctor, listen to music (while singing, dancing, and/or playing your drums)
- What is your favorite TV show? Curious George (you also really like Sesame Street)
- What is your favorite movie? Monsters, Inc.
- What are you really good at? playing the drums
- What is your favorite color? blue (this is a tough one, but it's the only color you know by name)
- What is your favorite song? Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (you request it every night before bed) and Hey, Ho by the Lumineers
- Who is your best friend? Christopher
- What do you and your mom do together? EVERYTHING
- What do you and your dad do together? watch movies, get donuts on Saturday mornings
- What is your favorite sport? football (you call it "game")
- Where is your favorite place to go? the park (I would have said Edinborough Park before "the incident")
- What is your favorite book? Baby Animals (you also love any Curious George book and Harry the Dirty Dog)
- What do you want to be when you grow up? daddy (or a drummer)
- Three words that best describe you: lovable, gregarious, curious
P.S. This will be the last "monthly" post. I'll definitely continue to post about your adventures and milestones, just not on a specific schedule. Stay tuned for your second birthday party post... (Hint: it's a Curious George theme).