Monday, January 7, 2013

22 Months!

Weight: 27 pounds
Height: 35 inches

Your height and weight may have stayed the same this month, but your vocabulary has exploded! You have amazed us practically every day with new words. A few highlights include happy, please, and thank you ("onyou"). On Christmas, you surprised us by going around the room and saying everyone's name. You've also started to string words together, in often hilarious combinations. You're obsessed with your Baby Animals book (we must read it before naps and bedtime). As a result, your favorite adjective is "baby" (even when it's not really fitting). For example, you saw a large shadow of a train on the TV and shouted "choo choo shadow." Then added, "baby choo choo shadow." All these new words have helped you to tell us what you do and do not want, which is both a blessing and a curse...

In other news, you had a friend sleepover for the first time this month. You and Christopher spent about 24 hours together and had fun entertaining each other with various shenanigans. You played with play-doh,
made fingerprint ornaments,
watched a movie with KG,
and drenched the entire bathroom while taking a bath.
I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by how well you behaved and shared. I hope this is the beginning of a life long friendship.
Unfortunately, you've been fighting an awful virus and ear infections (yes that is plural) since just before Christmas. Daddy and I have been sick, too, so we haven't been able to do much except sit around the house in jammies and watch movies and lots and lots of Curious George. Not quite what we had in mind for Christmas break...
Before the crud hit our house, we did attempt a few holiday outings. Some were more successful than others. A trip to the Hollidazzle parade was a major FAIL. We thought you would love it, but boy were we wrong. Apparently, parades are much too slow paced for you. We arrived just before the parade started because we knew you would get antsy waiting. This may have been a mistake because we didn't get a very good spot. Luckily, daddy is really tall and you scored a prime view from atop his shoulders...
Note daddy's forced smile and the unamused look on your face.
Despite this, about 30 seconds after the parade started you began screaming "GO!" at the top of your lungs. We did everything we could to get you interested, but when the "choo-choo" of lights failed to interest you, we knew our battle was lost. As we headed back to the car, we made our second mistake and decided to do some quick shopping (you were happy at the moment because we were on the move again). We realized our error as we made our way back to the parking ramp. The parade had just ended and every single elevator was filled to capacity. It took over 20 minutes just to cram onto an elevator and get to our car. Then the fun really began. It was 8:00 by this time and we were all tired and hungry. All we wanted was to pick up some take-out and go home. Well, the ramp had other plans for us. We creeped along for almost an hour before we were able to get out of the ramp!! I thought daddy was going to explode. Luckily, I was able to keep you entertained by watching Curious George on my phone.

After that, we were hesitant to try anything else. A couple weeks later, Grandma White and I took you back downtown to see Santaland at Macy's. This was a much more successful outing. There were no lines (because we went in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday) and you were mesmerized by all of the little displays.
Daddy and I also took you to see the lights in the park at Lake Phalen. This was your favorite and will definitely be a yearly tradition. You ooohed and ahhhhed and squealed throughout the entire exhibit. Best of all, we didn't even have to get out of the car!

Although you weren't feeling your best, we still had a really nice Christmas, complete with lots of family time.
On Christmas Eve we went to church in the afternoon and my aunt and uncle's house in the evening. You were the center of attention, since you were the only little one there, and loved every second of it (especially helping everyone open their presents). There are a couple babies on the way on that side of the family so, I'm sorry to say, you'll have to share the limelight next year.

We opened presents Christmas morning...
... and then we went to Grandma Hacker's for a delicious brunch and opened more presents. After a much needed nap, we headed to Grandma and Grandpa White's. All of the festivities had taken a toll at this point and we could tell you were feeling pretty lousy. However, you perked right up when you saw what was sitting in the middle of their living room.
Your very own, one-third size, drum set!!! You spent the rest of the evening performing for all of us. You're a natural. Now, several times a day, you demand to "see drum" and even have to give them a kiss goodnight before you go to bed. Other favorite gifts include a tool set from Grandma Hacker,
and a sled from Santa (although we've only used it for rides around the yard).
Since we were all still feeling pretty awful on New Year's Eve, daddy and I decided to cancel our plans. We had been thrilled to score a reservation at one of our favorite restaurants (The Bachelor Farmer). However, a quiet night at home with you and daddy (plus some king crab and champagne) ended up being the perfect way to end 2012 and welcome 2013.
Happy 22 months, peanut!
Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment