Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

DIY Dog Silhouette

I've been wanting to do a gallery wall above our couch for quite sometime. While I love my hubby's artwork, our current ledge situation is in need of an upgrade! (Notice KG's favorite napping spot- how fitting that he will soon have his very own picture on the wall behind him).
Santa brought me some beautiful frames and I've been scouring pinterest for ideas. Today, I decided on a layout and the artwork for one of the six frames that will be included in the gallery. Baby steps...

I was inspired by this DIY dog silhouette on glitter guide, which was inspired by artwork from Anthropologie (my all-time favorite store). Following their guide would have made this project ridiculously simple, but I wanted the silhouette to be of our beloved KG (not some random greyhound). The project is still very quick and easy (the hardest part was finding a good picture of KG). Plus, I had all of the necessary supplies around the house. And, most importantly, you can customize the pattern and colors of the dog silhouette and background to match your decor! Here are my directions to make a silhouette of your own pet!

Supplies:
  • frame (I used the espresso wood gallery frame from Pottery Barn)
  • scrapbook paper
  • cream card stock
  • scissors
  • sharpie
  • pencil
  • glue stick
  • tape
Steps:
  1. find (or take) a profile picture of your favorite pet
  2. edit the photo, as needed (I zoomed in on his profile so it filled the picture and printed a 4X6 size. The silhouette worked perfect for my 5X7 frame.)
  3. print silhouette (I just printed a fast draft on regular computer paper.)
  4. outline your dog's silhouette with a sharpie (it makes the next step easier)
  5. cut out silhouette
  6. trace silhouette onto card stock and cut out (as you can see, I traced the silhouette onto the back so the pencil marks wouldn't show on the front)
  7. trim a piece of scrapbook paper, in the pattern of your choosing, to fit your frame
  8. glue silhouette to the corner of the scrapbook paper
  9. insert paper into frame
Voila!

Stay tuned for the completed gallery wall (don't hold your breath, though, this could take awhile)!

No comments:

Post a Comment