Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Holy Hemnes!

After a very long search, we finally found a dresser for the nursery- the Hemnes 6-drawer chest from Ikea!  We felt pressure to make a decision after receiving a ridiculous amount of adorable baby goodies at our shower last weekend (thanks everyone!).

Being our first furniture purchase from Ikea, we were a bit surprised by the number of pieces that Hemnes came in...

 

Luckily, John considers himself to be quite the handyman and felt up for the challenge.  I offered my services, but was told that they would not be necessary.  (I think his exact words were "I think it would be better if I just did this myself...").  Hmmmm, fine then!  He poured himself a beer and I skeptically got out of his way...  (I was a bit nervous at this point because the last time I was asked to get out of the way our new bathroom cabinet ended up being installed upside down).

About an hour later John called me in to show off his mad skillz.  I was quite impressed by how quickly Hemnes was coming together!  (I think John was especially "efficient" because it was Super Bowl Sunday and he was determined to finish by kick-off).  Here is what Hemnes looked like at this point...


As I looked a little closer, I noticed a slight problem...  Look at the above picture again and see if you notice anything that doesn't seem quite right...  (I have to admit I was very proud of myself for noticing this).  Did you see it?  Here is the issue that I saw.  The top board of the dresser was stained on what seemed to be the inside of the dresser, and the raw wood was on the outside.  I, very cautiously, pointed this detail out to John.  He immediately said that there was only one way that everything would fit together and that it had to be right.  I persisted because I knew this could not be right.  After looking over his work for a few minutes he admitted that he had made a mistake and that I was right!  (This was one for the record books!  I have to admit that I was gloating a little.)  The good news was that it was a really easy fix, since the back of the dresser had not been attached yet...  I let him get back to work and after about another hour or so Hemnes was complete!!


We are very pleased with him so far.  The stain is a little bit ashier than the stain on the crib, but it's not too noticeable.  The drawers are very roomy and slide smoothly (one of my biggest pet peeves are sticky dresser drawers).  The two smaller drawers on top are perfect for storing little baby socks and other accessories.  I was also pleasantly surprised by the cute design on the inside of the drawers...


I have to say that we are very satisfied with our first furniture purchase from Ikea.  Eventually, I'd like to swap out the knobs for something a bit more fun.  I really like these knobs from Anthropologie- I think the linen color with brass would look great on Hemnes.  For now, though, we can consider that one more item checked off the ol' nursery to-do list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment