Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Knit Baby Blanket

I started this blanket for a very good friend of mine who was pregnant- little did I know how long it would take me to finish!  I would definitely consider myself a novice when it comes to knitting.  I took a class with my mom a few years ago to learn the basics.  Since then, my knitting resume has included only very basic scarves, dish cloths, and one baby hat (that I had some assistance with).

I had visions of knitting a blanket for quite some time, but was overwhelmed by the thought of such a large project (given my short attention span and lack of knitting expertise).  I searched high and low for a pattern that I thought would be manageable.  I finally found one for a Rib Check Baby Blanket.  It seemed pretty easy and was the only one I could find that didn't involve "knitting in the round."  I bought 4 balls of Patons Beehive Baby Chunky Yarn in quicker clover and used US size 9 needles.  My project was underway!

Despite the simplicity of this pattern, I soon realized that I was not going to be anywhere close to finishing the blanket before my friend's due date.  In the mean time, however, I had found out that I was pregnant (and due 6 months later than said friend)...  I decided to keep it for myself (well, for my future baby).  Sorry Bridget!

As my due date approached, I began to fear that this blanket wouldn't even be completed in time for Jackson's arrival (and I knew no progress would be made once he was born).  I needed to get serious!  I dedicated a little time each night (while watching my favorite mindless TV shows, such as The Real Housewives and The Bachelor) to knitting away...and wouldn't you know it, after almost a year, I finished it!!  It measures 22 inches by 29 inches.  I can't wait to wrap my little baby boy in it!


Here is a close up of the pattern...

1 comment: